Monday, August 18, 2008

"Make something from Nothing"


This past weekend, I went to go see Beautiful Losers and if its screening in your town, you should definitely watch it. Its really an inspiring film. A lot of these artists that are in the film are the people that made me think that I could make the kind of art that I do and actually be an "artist." I know that kind of sounds weird, but not sure exactly how to explain it without going into a long winded speech about it. The film and why so many of these artists make work speaks to a lot of the same reasons why I make art. Its really inspiring and especially to see Margaret Kilgallen, one of my heroes and biggest inspirations.

Beautiful Losers from the Sidetrack Films website

Beautiful Losers is a feature documentary film celebrating the independent and D.I.Y. spirit that unified a loose-knit group of American artists who emerged from the underground youth subcultures of skateboarding, graffiti, punk rock and hip-hop. This documentary tells the story of how a group of outsiders with little or no formal training and almost no conception or interest of the inner workings of the art world ended up having an incredible impact on the worlds of art, fashion, music, film and pop culture.

No comments: